Commenting, he said:
‘’The extent of this blaze will understandably come as a huge shock to local residents and the wider community.
I want to thank members of the Fire and Rescue Service for their swift and tireless efforts overnight, as well as the PSNI who have assisted with roads management in the area. Only through this work has further damage to property or life been avoided.
While the fire has now been contained, it is likely to be some time before the situation is fully under control. I will be liaising with the emergency services and Causeway Council to minimise disruption to businesses and public services in the area. It is essential that local residents are kept fully informed of any ongoing risks, including from burning asbestos.’’